quick shifting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98warrior

Reaction score
My uncle said when he drags he doesnt let off the throttle when he shifts. Wouldnt this add a lot of extra wear on the clutch or maybe even bad on the trans?

if you tap the clutch real quick when you shift you shouldnt have to let off and it shouldnt hurt it, thats what i do

My uncle said when he drags he doesnt let off the throttle when he shifts. Wouldnt this add a lot of extra wear on the clutch or maybe even bad on the trans?
Thats the way I always shift when I'm shifting fast.

that hit on everything cannot be good.

just clutch and power shift quickly!

I was just seeing what opinions ppl had on it, i dont shift and have never shifted like that. I told him it had to be bad for it but he's kinda like if its not his way there is no way. Lol he's giving me all kinds of **** for getting 20 inch tires instead of 22's, because he's always ran 22's and well thats gota be the best haha.

I shift with out the clutch most of the time and just let off the gas. If I try and shift on the gas it doesn't let me go into the next gear. I then just hold my throttle wide open and shift really quick using the clutch.

I shift without the clutch a lot also. I do the same as above, let of the gas for a split second and it will slide right into the next gear no problem. Is it good for the bike? I'm sure it's not. But when you're tired it's murder pulling that clutch in nonstop.

I have always shifted like that when im racing. Wide open throttle and a very quick pull of the clutch. It only takes a split second to shift into the next gear and will help keep you in your powerband. On my LT I have to do it that way when im racing so it will keep me on my pipe, if I let off the gas and shift then I have a good second or two before i get on the pipe again and I can kiss the race goodbye. Same with doing the nice steep tree shots in the sand, if I let off the gas then im screwed cause I lose my momentum and when the power kicks back in all I'll do is dig a hole.

Get a honda style ez pull clutch lever assembly, you won't be very tired afterwards. The one with the sealed bearing from magic did wonders for me.

I have a Honda, with a CR clutch perch/lever and after 1.5 hours of racing, you need to be a bodybuilder to still be pulling the clutch in every time...lol. I'm sure that would do wonders for a Warrior though, they're horrible as far as clutch pull goes.

Is it harder on things.... yes. Is it faster.... yes. If you want to win you will have to shift that way.

And why would your uncle give you crap about getting 20"s. Just the weight you wont have to turn with your motor is going to give you a little more umph.

Actually you'd only loose 1" of ground clearance.

Actually you'd only loose 1" of ground clearance.

Thats exactly what I told him but he insisted I would lose 2 inches. Oh well I guess when I get them I'll just measure them and prove him wrong.

The extra ground clearance would be nice, but I can't afford to give up any handling. Momentum is the key to not getting stuck...lol.

Back