12 tooth front sprocket?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcomquad6

Reaction score
I am thinking about going for my stock 13 tooth front sprocket to an aftermarket 12 tooth sprocket. Does the 12 tooth sprocket really improve low end performance with out effecting top ed performance?

Your bottom end is gonna rip, take off is going to be much faster, wheelies will be alot easier, and it will spin bigger tires quicker. It will reduce your top speed by 5 or so mph's. I dont see why people are so crazy about top end, acceleration is what its about.

Not worth it. Your first gear will be pretty much useless. You'll go about five feet in first gear if you're lucky. Even with the stock gearing I start in second gear. I don't know why you'd want to be geared any lower than that? I even went up a tooth on the front so that I could use the gear, before that I NEVER used first gear, ever. The biggest, baddest hillclimbs around were always in second gear too. There's no use in being geared as low as it is stock, and especially not any lower. Go any lower and you're just wasting power.....

so if i get the smaller sprocket how am i wasting power if it is supposed to bring me more power on the low end?

I had the 12 tooth front and found that after my engine mods (cam, piston, intake, pipe, etc) that the bike over-revved way too easy, I went back to the 13 and it still revs too quick. I'm going to a 14 tooth front now. I'm not sure what your mods are but if you have a stock engine its a cheap way to increase low end grunt, but like Klutchbuster said, it will slow down your top speed.

Theres a fine line between using a gear, going someplace, and shifting.

The stock gearing is enough for anything anyone wants to do and in stock form id never reccomend changing it. 12 is too low unless your pulling stuff or running big tires. Even in the trails the stock 13 is enough for anything.

With a 12 you will shift too much and someone with a 13 will beat you in a drag race anyway. 12 tooth just doesnt let you use the gears and the top speed blows... you will be getting passed by utility quads, blasters, 300ex's on top speed. The only thing i could ever see going to a 12 even in stock form would maybe be some intense and rough trails. But even in that case id much prefer a 13.

thanks for the info. right now mine is completely stock and it is neck and neck with my buddies 400ex with intake, pipe, and jetted. thanks again

Not worth it. Your first gear will be pretty much useless. You'll go about five feet in first gear if you're lucky. Even with the stock gearing I start in second gear. I don't know why you'd want to be geared any lower than that? I even went up a tooth on the front so that I could use the gear, before that I NEVER used first gear, ever. The biggest, baddest hillclimbs around were always in second gear too. There's no use in being geared as low as it is stock, and especially not any lower. Go any lower and you're just wasting power.....

I rock the 11 tooth and its NASTYYYYY, I also went up 4 in the back, for some SILLYY first gear action I start in 5th sometimes, whatever I see fit, but it tears as through turns and blasts out man, go 12

Then your gearing would be really low. A smaller front sprocket lowers the gearing and a larger rear sprocket also lowers gearing.

That would be CRAZY bottom end lol.
The way it goes is lower teeth in the front gives more bottom end, more teeth in the rear gives more bottom end as well. I would just leave it stock, or go ot a 14 front.

i have a 14/39 and i dont have a problem wheelieing or keeping up with 400's sure its a little slower but oh whell, i find this combo perfect

I have the same mods as ratch except my cam is stg. 2 his is stg.1 and 13/40 is too low and I'll be switching to 14/40 this spring.

I like my 12 tooth because I can leave it in 1st for the really tight, technical stuff instead of having to feather the clutch. The less I use the clutch the longer I can ride. I dont care about top speed but I think my 21" rear holeshots make up some of the lost top end.

My bike had a 12 on it when i bought it very low first gear liek others said. I might keep in on there cause i might go up to 22 inch rear tires so it may help turn them better

Just get a 12 tooth and try it what's good for you may not be good for the other I have 12/40 gearing and i love it everyone said i would hate it so as i said just try it fronts are only 10 bucks get you up 20 bucks and buy a 12 and a 14 or 15 and just try im a big guy soo i need the low gears for long steel hill climbs. LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES IF YOU GET SUM NEW GEARS.

It all depends on your riding area and style. I run a 12 tooth sprocket with 20" paddles when I'm on the dunes, I need all the extra torque to get up and out of the tree shots and idiot holes. That combo works great for what I need it to do out there. When I trail ride (which is not very often) I put my 13 tooth sprocket on with my 22" tires and that combo works great for what I need it to do there. the 12 tooth is worthless for me on the trails, and the 13 tooth is worthless for me on the dunes. So you need to look at how you will be riding and in what terrain and what you want to be doing and then decide.

Back