96 Yamaha Warrior 350

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristow907

Reaction score
Alright guys so after rebuilding my warrior, I managed to get a little bit of seat time on it to break it in a little bit. Everything seems to be alright, and it's still in one piece. My only issue is that it doesn't seem to have the power I think it should have. I made another post on here with the similar issue but wasn't able to really get a reply from anybody, thought I'd give it another try. Old Betsy doesn't have any bogging issues or anything, just when in the higher rpms between shifting, it doesn't seem to have that power I was hoping for. I'm not sure if it's because I'm use to my old 2 stroke dirtbike (125) having the power ban kick in at ridiculous times and taking off, or if my quads lacking. The air filter is pretty rough, so I'm assuming that could be a start if not the whole issue of loss power?

It's been bored out .40, stage 1 hot cam and a DG pipe. I rebuilt it myself, new head, piston rings all that fun stuff. The old head one of the valves snapped off and took out everything in it's path.

It's been bored out .40, stage 1 hot cam and a DG pipe. I rebuilt it myself, new head, piston rings all that fun stuff. The old head one of the valves snapped off and took out everything in it's path.
bed it didnt get u as bad as mice did lol how hard was u running it when it let go?

Well, assuming that timing is correct, plug is good, and jetting is correct, but (you really need to replace that filter), it is probably you not being used to it. These bikes don't like to be run out on the top end too much. They prefer short shifting and letting it build up from the midrange. The 2 stroke is top end, so you can run it out up to and have that power band to ride on. Also, the s1hc is not a top end cam. It is a better woods grind than anything else, which is why I chose it for mine. Porting the head would help high rpm, becuase it can bring more air/fuel in and push more exhaust out, easier. Porting helps to get the most out of a cam as well. You're just going to have to ride it and get used to it. It's either that or pull the head, install hd valve springs, install a more top end cam and see how you like it.

I would agree with Gen1Pat going from a 125 to a warrior is a massive change in convention. The 125s don't make real power until several thousand rpm and the warrior is made to grunt down low. I know from experience though a bad filter will kill your top end but help you bottom end, so I would start there too lol.

Perfect news to hear. The head and piston were completely toast, I got the bike like that. As far as timing goes, because the stock cam and s1hc lobes are different, my timing had to be set backwards, which is probably why the valve went in the first place. I guess the guy before me didn't have it setup properly and took the valve out immediately. Instead of the timing notch on the cam shaft gear faceing upwards, it had to be set facing down, so everything still lines up, just isn't what the stock cam was set at. Might be a little confusing to understand, but that was the only way the cam shaft would work.

It is confusing, because the line on the cam gear should point to the little "tit" at the 11oclock position, with the lobes facing down.

It's never gonna feel like that dirtbike man, don't try to base from that. In all honesty for the combo I have my Warrior runs awesome all over the powerball, I let it's torque carry it through the gears & she stretches out nice in high gear. Maybe it's my porting & compression but she's lively.

Well there is one way to make it ride like a dirt bike lol. But that's a lot of work. The last time I rode a 4 stroke Warrior it did pull well all around. But I had to tune it up and adjust the carb before it would run in the first place.

Hahah my 125 was an absolute monster. I love my warrior though. What are you guys running for handlebars? Seems mine are bent so I need to get a new set, was thinking fatbars, but they look pretty silly on these warriors. Any other suggestions?

Back