Chain number

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the size of the chain (size and width of the links). Most quads use a 520 chain.

O I C, next question is what is better O, X , Z rings? and does one wear more than the other.

z rings i think are supposed to be the best.

However no bike of mine will ever see and o x or Z ring chain.

Its heavier and drains horsepower. I have had more luck with standard chains and the extra 30-100 dollars in my pocket.

OH does it really? now with your standard chain do you have to oil it more often? I have the stock 0-chain and i oil it before every ride. what does every body else do?

Most people will reccomend an oring chain and thats perfectly fine and yes they will last slightly longer. All chains should be oiled every ride.

Gotta get somethign with at least an o-ring in it. I'm running a parts unlimited x-ring, got it for $50 2 years ago, barely oiled the thing at all, and it's still going strong. I never had a standard chain, but i'd imagine riding in water, dust, etc would really tear one up quick being that there's nothing to keep the grease in and the contaminants away from the rollers. Sure, technically a ringed chain will have more rolling resistance, but it's so minimal you'd never be able to measure the amount on a dyno.

Since I basicaly only ride in sand, my chain gets cleaned and oiled after every trip. But before I go out on a dune ride my chain gets cleaned so there is no oil left on it. The worst possible thing you can do to your chain is to have it oiled while your riding in the sand.

Gotta get somethign with at least an o-ring in it. I'm running a parts unlimited x-ring, got it for $50 2 years ago, barely oiled the thing at all, and it's still going strong. I never had a standard chain, but i'd imagine riding in water, dust, etc would really tear one up quick being that there's nothing to keep the grease in and the contaminants away from the rollers. Sure, technically a ringed chain will have more rolling resistance, but it's so minimal you'd never be able to measure the amount on a dyno.
I agree!
I've had both... I have a non- O-ring chain now. I'll say this. I will never run a non-O-ring chain again with an atv. First, I cannot feel a power difference between the two. It requires more oiling and chain adjustment. They also wear out quicker. That's a fact. It's just more of a hassle.

Ok next question, on my chain i have rust spots on the chain.. now is this standard or is my chain to tight or am i doing something wrong.

Ok next question, on my chain i have rust spots on the chain.. now is this standard or is my chain to tight or am i doing something wrong.

Chains are steel, steel rusts when it gets wet. If the chain is oiled then you won't get rust, but no, it isn't any kind of an indication that you're out of adjustment.

You just check for slack by lifting up on the chain and seeing how much free play there is. You want somewhere around 1 to 1-1/2 inches of free play up and down.

I dont know for sure in dyno numbers, but when i ditched my stock o ring chain and bought a standard it was a noticible power increase. If i am correct i saw a dyno sheet a few years back that claimed about 1 horsepower between the 2 on a 350X.

Thats a noticible jump in my book. Then again it depends on the chain. I buy cheap primary drive H racing chains. They usually last about a year, but the tensile rating is 1000lbs higher than any oring chain under 80 bucks, not to mention the thing still looks like new when its worn out, so most of the time you can take a couple links out and ride it for a lot longer. Its kinda weird, after the first ride the chain will stretch quite a bit, then after than first ride the chain stays at the same adjustment for a long time, sometimes 3-4 rides.

Idk i just cant see spending all that money on a chain with orings in it, knowing that they dont really do anything for me since i avoid water and mud plus keep my chains lubed heavy. But honestly as much as a chain moves around and the rollers spin, how much water do those orings really keep out? My stock chain didnt last as long as those 520 H racing chains, and it sure did make a shitload more noise, it also started to litterally fall apart before it was out of adjustment, the rollers and orings were falling out on a regular basis, and i lubed that thing every ride. I believe they use DID stock dont they?

When it comes to chains and sprockets i have found that you are actually better off saving your money and buying the cheaper stuff, cheap sprockets last just as long if you just keep the chain adjusted right, and the midgrade chains usually last over a year.

Then again this is only my opinion, most of you guys hit alot more water than i do, i stay clear of mud and water when possible. For some reason to me, just one time out mud riding completely ruins the feel of my quad for weeks, it just makes everything feel weird and like the entire machine is worn out untill i get used to it again. This is also most likely why the only bearings i cant seem to keep in the thing are swingarm bearings, other than that ive only replaced one wheel bearing and only because it was a little loose.

I'm all about low-maintenance parts. The less I have to lube and clean my chain the better. Those rings definitely do their job of keeping the grease in and the contaminants out, because there have been times when i've rode all day with my tires in 8 inches of water or more the whole time. I rarely lube this chain, I mean rarely, maybe 4 times in 2 years, and this thing is still like new. My cousin with the quadracer cheaped out and got a regular non-ring chain, and i bet he didn't get a full 10 hours on the thing before he had links starting to bind up and ****. For most riders, i'm pretty sure that an o-ring or x-ring chain will be cheaper in the long run. Another thing to consider is that chain lube isn't free. Even if you just use motor oil or wd-40, it's still costing you money to be lubing that thing constantly.

I guarantee you if I stuck a regular chain like you run on my bike i'd be buying another one within a couple months. And I think most of the other guys on here are the same, most of us can't keep ourselves out of the mud and water like you do.

I agree with you on the sprockets though, the cheap ones still seem to last forever.

I'm going to agree with you again yama.. After owning this non o-ring chain I will never recomend one to a friend. My o-ring chain lasted for 8 years and I fucked it up by actually lubing it with the wrong stuff and dried the o-rings out.

Back