had an idea

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

well i just bought a 96 warrior for 500 bucks and its a piece of ****. it runs good but it leaks a little oil and its in pretty bad shape. i had an idea to strip it down and put a 250 two stroke dirt bike motor in it. i know warriors are heavy so i dont know how good it would work. if i did decide to do it would it keep up with a 250r? what do you guys think?

no idea but i say go for it man, that'd be ****** sweet, but maybe i just think it'd be swet cuz i love workin on stuff

You'll never keep up with a 250R the suspention and chassis geometry are worlds appart, plus it's like 60 lbs heavier, you might reduce about 20lbs from the 250 motor but thats like it.

Do it that'd be awesome. If you modded the 250 motor you could probably keep up. Even if you don't it would still be really fast and it would be original.

I dont know if you already have the 250, but with a warrior frame I would go with a R5-350twin, RD-350twin, Or better yet a RD-400twin. They are all 2-strokes. The engines are from the 70's so they are cheap to buy. the 350's stock have around 36-38 hp and the 400 has around 45hp. The R5-350twin flat out hauls, I have that engine stuffed in my Blaster. I have kicked around the Idea of doing this to my warrior, But I will either go with a RZ-350 or Maxim 550, Both would fit with just minor fabrication, or least easier than when i put that 350 in my blaster.

make sure it's after 84 i believe pre 85's had the chain on the right side and exhaust on the left. i know my 82 250 r three wheeler is that way. it may make things easier for ya

thanks for the input guys. i think i know where i can get a cr500 engine for pretty cheap so i might ask about it.

You'll never keep up with a 250R the suspention and chassis geometry are worlds appart, plus it's like 60 lbs heavier, you might reduce about 20lbs from the 250 motor but thats like it.

Depends on the 250 motor put in... If he was to put a newer 2 stroke 250 in the frame ( like 1999+ yz250) it would be a much better motor than the 250R had both for power and reliability. But still just for handling and etc you wouldnt be able to do much except mod it.. In a straight line though you would do alright.

does anyone know of a 2 stroke thatll just about bolt straight in a warrior frame with the least amount of work i got a 99 warrior that has a blown engine and missing a few odd ball parrts and id like to put one together like that i wonder how much work itll b 2 put a banshee engine in one and still keep it lookin like a warrior so u can tell ur buddys oh its still just a 350 warrior and beat the snot outta them ;D

I don't think there's anything that would be that close to bolting up. I think you'd have to cut out have the frame to fit the banshee engine into it, they're one of the bigger engines out there, especially when you include those huge pipes.

There's no such thing as an easy engine swap. No matter what you pick, it's going to take a bunch of work.

Back