Oil cooler?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallnd

Reaction score
I want to see what is the best oil cooler setup to buy, please let me know your experience. Several different types to buy, please help.

Both of the methods work well, and everybody has their reasons for picking one or the other. I myself prefer the method using the big bear adapter bolting to the oil filter area. This is an easier installation because it's all just bolt-on and go. The clutch cover tap method requires that you remove the clutch cover, drill and tap threads into the oil galley, seal up the galley between the 2 holes, and then to re-assemble you get the pleasure of replacing the gasket and hoping that yamaha's cheesy bolts don't break off while you're tightening them. (they're known to shear off even when following the specs with a torque wrench).

The benefit to the clutch tap method is both cost, and that it delivers the cooled oil towards the bottom end of the motor first. The big bear method first sends the cooled oil to the head, and then it makes its way down towards the bottom end where the more heat-sensitive components are.

One other thing that always made me feel a little more secure with the big bear setup is that if an oil line ever gets pinched or blocked in any way, the oil flow will bypass the cooler and just go straight through the filter and back into the motor like the stock setup. With the clutch tap method, oil flow being blocked through the cooler means oil flow is blocked through the rest of the engine as well.

Back