TRANSMISSION NOISE?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought my first Warrior. Might have made a mistake. 2004 Warrior (with the original tires on it, so I thought it must haven’t been ridden too much). I’ve noticed this not good grindy type noise coming from the transmission. It makes it in all gears, but is only really noticeable in 3rd gear and up. 1st through 2nd, it’s really quiet, and you have to look out for it. After 3rd, it’s pretty noticeable. No issues shifting. Doesn’t stutter or slip. The clutch does engage pretty rough. This is my first ATV so I’m not sure if this is just 20 year old machine noises, or if I bought a bike with a f******* transmission. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9649.mov
    45.4 MB
  • IMG_9627.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Mine was making the same noise, I thought it was knocking from something going wrong with my rebuild. I got lucky, it was the bolt for my flywheel had backed off and it was causing vibrations. If it was trasnmission noise id think itd have a tougher time getting in and out of gear, and if it were knocking it would have blown up already. Here's two things I'd check before I burnt the sellers house down.
Pop the left side cover off, you'll see the 17mm bolt that holds the flywheel to the crank and make sure that's good and tight. But being the clutch engagement is rough i think the first thing to do is take off the right side cover, it exposes the clutch. I would see if someone did work and forgot to bend the keeper tabs on the bolt that holds the clutch basket, or just look for broken bits in general.

Mine was making the same noise, I thought it was knocking from something going wrong with my rebuild. I got lucky, it was the bolt for my flywheel had backed off and it was causing vibrations. If it was trasnmission noise id think itd have a tougher time getting in and out of gear, and if it were knocking it would have blown up already. Here's two things I'd check before I burnt the sellers house down.
Pop the left side cover off, you'll see the 17mm bolt that holds the flywheel to the crank and make sure that's good and tight. But being the clutch engagement is rough i think the first thing to do is take off the right side cover, it exposes the clutch. I would see if someone did work and forgot to bend the keeper tabs on the bolt that holds the clutch basket, or just look for broken bits in general.
Thanks for the advice. Do I need to replace any gaskets if I do this? Or can I just put the one’s I took off back on? Normally I would replace any gaskets I take off, but I just spent all my money on it lol, so will need to wait till I can buy those to do so. Thanks!

Yeah the clutch cover gasket should get replaced, but if you are kinda doing diagnostic stuff it'll be safe for a test ride reusing it if you got to. You can get the cheapo gasket kits off Amazon work fine, at least for the non-crucial stuff.

Yeah the clutch cover gasket should get replaced, but if you are kinda doing diagnostic stuff it'll be safe for a test ride reusing it if you got to. You can get the cheapo gasket kits off Amazon work fine, at least for the non-crucial stuff.
Lady said no work done on the clutch. She said its sounded that way for the last 4 years. She said if I have any issues with it to let her know and she’ll get it rectified. Very nice and stand up family, kinda one of the reasons I bought it off them. What about getting to the flywheel bolt? Any gaskets I’d need to replace there? Or is it the 17mm right behind the cover? Thanks a lot for your help seriously.

Last edited:
If there is a gasket it's just to keep dust out. Just pop the 4 5mm ones holding the plastic cover it'll be right there

Btw a medium drill brush and some spray9 will get them white plastics looking brand new.

Btw a medium drill brush and some spray9 will get them white plastics looking brand new.
Yeah I’m gonna pull both sides do some inspection, but thanks for the tip! Can’t wait to get back to restoring this thing.

Nice looking warrior, yeah do some bolt inspection, check the shift star that's in the clutch side cover I really think it has 2 be something stupid inspect clutches
Thanks! Can’t wait to start restoring it. I’m gonna pull the clutch cover this weekend or next. Did some research on pulling these things apart and they’re a lot simpler than I thought. Never worked on ATVs but I work on my truck all the time so I should be able to handle it.

Hey guys, just bought my first Warrior. Might have made a mistake. 2004 Warrior (with the original tires on it, so I thought it must haven’t been ridden too much). I’ve noticed this not good grindy type noise coming from the transmission. It makes it in all gears, but is only really noticeable in 3rd gear and up. 1st through 2nd, it’s really quiet, and you have to look out for it. After 3rd, it’s pretty noticeable. No issues shifting. Doesn’t stutter or slip. The clutch does engage pretty rough. This is my first ATV so I’m not sure if this is just 20 year old machine noises, or if I bought a bike with a f******* transmission. Please help! Thanks in advance.
Oh I found it good buy love the red frame white plastics 04s

Back