Crank Swap Tips

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukesmith2221

Reaction score
I put a run down '87 back together and it was hard to tune, to find out the Crank was bad(well its knocking pretty good near bottom). I got another motor now with a bent shift fork.
Im gonna use the crank from the bad trans motor and put it in the other, unless shift forks are easier... I still have to crack open both cases. I intend to take pictures and I have a flywheel puller.
Anyone got secrets tips for me or parts to watch out for?
I've, done Valves, flywheels, axle carriers and bearings, electrical hell, frame swaps.

Watch out for the little spacers that like to stick to the case then fall off once you move it away.
If you use the shift fork motor use the stator and flywheel from the other one
Piston rings are a wear item, and as long as the wife knows that there's no reason not to do a higher compression piston while you are in there

I would recommend a crankshaft puller/installer. The cases can just separate, but if they don't, you can distort/bend the crankshaft beating them apart. Many have gotten away with prying and hammering, but doesn't mean it is the right way.

This one puller, or a cheap knock-off, will work. Try to buy one with the bars unless you have some thicker steel stock laying around.

I've had pretty good luck with Tusk brand gasket kits. For what you will need to put it back together, its cheaper to buy a whole gasket kit. Try to take transmission gears out as a whole assembly, grab any washers left behind, and place them back on the shafts. Parts diagrams are your friend. Bag and tag everything and maybe do a cardboard template to keep bolts organized.

Chase all threaded holes in the case with a thread chaser bit. Silicone can be cleaned out with an undersize drill bit, by hand, first. Wire clean all bolts. Follow all torque specs.

Your basically going to have to tear it down far enough and might as well go through and do a basic rebuild.

Back