False neutral between gears 5 and 6!?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renson Rowles

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve recently gotten a new warrior, it’s a 1998. But there’s one weird quirk with it that I’m worried about, when you switch from gears 5 to 6 if your wide open, sometimes it’ll false neutral somehow? Could this mean just a clutch problem or something more serious like a worn transmission?

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
If its just "sometimes" it's likely a clutch issue. Could be flashing the clutch because of worn clutch discs or a cable adjustment issue.

Make sure the clutch lever on the transmission has a bit of slack when fully released. If not, adjust the handle lever untill it releases tension with just a bit of play in the case side clutch lever. Only run JASO MA2 certified oil ment for wet clutches.

If this has happened more than a couple times, even if the clutch discs are okay, it's likely glazed them. If the clutch cable adjustment was too tight, or you think the wrong oil was in it(and you put the correct in), you can try to brake the glaze loose. You run it to a mid rpm speed in a low gear(2nd or 3rd), grab the clutch, release it quick a handful of times letting off the throttle to lower rpm before releasing and throttling up. Hope that makes sense. You release the clutch on decel to the rpm to shock the discs. Still need a new clutch set soon.

I have had great luck with the Tusk clutch sets. I ride hard on the throttle and they seem to hold up. Their HD clutch springs are a great upgrade, too.

Last edited:
If its just "sometimes" it's likely a clutch issue. Could be flashing the clutch because of worn clutch discs or a cable adjustment issue.

Make sure the clutch lever on the transmission has a bit of slack when fully released. If not, adjust the handle lever untill it releases tension with just a bit of play in the case side clutch lever. Only run JASO MA2 certified oil ment for wet clutches.

If this has happened more than a couple times, even if the clutch discs are okay, it's likely glazed them. If the clutch cable adjustment was too tight, or you think the wrong oil was in it(and you put the correct in), you can try to brake the glaze loose. You run it to a mid rpm speed in a low gear(2nd or 3rd), grab the clutch, release it quick a handful of times letting off the throttle to lower rpm before releasing and throttling up. Hope that makes sense. You release the clutch on decel to the rpm to shock the discs. Still need a new clutch set soon.

I have had great luck with the Tusk clutch sets. I ride hard on the throttle and they seem to hold up. Their HD clutch springs are a great upgrade, too.
Alright thanks man I was gonna get a new clutch anyway soon so I’ll keep that in mind. But I think I’ve chalked it down to a transmission issue because I don’t have a lot of seat time on the bike and I was riding it today and it happened and I just kept in the throttle and it popped into 6th.

Could be forks or a shift drum issue. If a previous owner was power shifting with no clutch it could have damaged the forks or even the gears.

Check the clutch cable itself for any kinks or breaks. It could be not releasing the clutch far enough to disengage it fully.

With the engine off, can you roll the machine back and forth and engage all the gears easily?

Has it ever popped out of a gear while riding?

Could be forks or a shift drum issue. If a previous owner was power shifting with no clutch it could have damaged the forks or even the gears.

Check the clutch cable itself for any kinks or breaks. It could be not releasing the clutch far enough to disengage it fully.

With the engine off, can you roll the machine back and forth and engage all the gears easily?

Yes I can roll the machine back and forth and shift throughout all of the gears. And no it has never popped out of gear while riding.

Do an oil change, use jaso2 rated stuff and go from there, it sounds more like the clutch letting go under high load than a transmission problem.

Latest posts

Back