slow cranking - Need Help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmm

Reaction score
2001 warrior - slow cranking and will not start. I used 2 different car batteries to jump start (without the cars running). Connected the terminals to the battery cable on the quad (slow cranking), bypassed the electrical system and connected ground to quad and positive right to the starter motor - no difference. Took the starter off and spun it with battery cables from a car battery (I have no idea if it spun fast enough). Reinstalled starter motor with same slow cranking. Removed spark plug and it made no difference in the cranking speed. I thought about replacing the starter but read it could be a starter clutch inside the motor housing??? Since I bought the quad it always made a loud clonking sound inside the motor housing if the motor stalled or didn't start. I read something late last night stating this was a symptom of a bad starter clutch. This seems to be common with the warrior from the searches I did - however the quad did sit for a year. Oh - the quad did start by push starting.

Please help - saw a starter motor on eBay for $42 - don't mind buying it but don't want to waste the money if not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

are you sure the jumper cables you are using are adequate? Cheap jumper cables can have to much resistance or not large enough wire gauge.

how tight is the starter bolted on? this may sound weird but if the starter on mine is bolted on to tight (depends on how tight it is. it will either slow crank. Or make a clicking sound from the relay.. thats if its on real tight tho). i had 2 undo the 2 bolts a lil that hold the starter on for mine to work fine.. you could try doing that also and see if it helps

used two pairs of battery cables - first one was a cheap set and the other was a nice set - no change

the starter is not installed with a lot of torque

additionally i have been reading alot about starter bearing on this site???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-WARR...42552&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

did you try undoing the starter a lil bit?. the starter clutch is on the back of the flywheel. if it is shot when you try to start it.. it would spin alot, and the flywheel wouldnt move (you can take that lil cap off and see if the flywheel turns left).

if its cranking slow my best bet is the starter is on to tight (what makes it looks like the bettery has no power at all)

Thanks - I will try loosening the starter however prior to my issues I never touched it.

When you say lil cap do you mean the plastic oversized screw (ignition timing window plug) on the top side of the casing for the flywheel. Or did you mean the front aluminum cover with 4 allen screws?

I do appriciate your help and will probably replace the starter after looking into your last two suggestions.

Thanks - I will try loosening the starter however prior to my issues I never touched it.

When you say lil cap do you mean the plastic oversized screw (ignition timing window plug) on the top side of the casing for the flywheel. Or did you mean the front aluminum cover with 4 allen screws?

I do appriciate your help and will probably replace the starter after looking into your last two suggestions.

ya that lil cap on the left side, if you undo that then see if the flywheel moves left then you know the stater clutch is fine.

dillon you really should not be peddling advice to someone considering the issues you are having with your own atv. If you have to loosen the starter for it to work then there is another issue with the starter.

dillon you really should not be peddling advice to someone considering the issues you are having with your own atv. If you have to loosen the starter for it to work then there is another issue with the starter.

theres nothing wrong with my starter. it was new. and this thread had nothing to do with me. just told him what i had to do to mine. so i dont know why you hate on me

DITTO :loco:

theres nothing wrong with my starter. it was new. and this thread had nothing to do with me. just told him what i had to do to mine. so i dont know why you hate on me

I don't care if it is new or not. If you have to loosen the bolts to get it to work, then it has something wrong with it. Let me guess, it is and aftermarket starter and not an OEM Yamaha.

I'm not hating on you. I just have a problem with someone who won't listen to sound advice on his own atv. Then posts giving bad advice to someone who is new on here.

I don't care if it is new or not. If you have to loosen the bolts to get it to work, then it has something wrong with it. Let me guess, it is and aftermarket starter and not an OEM Yamaha.

I'm not hating on you. I just have a problem with someone who won't listen to sound advice on his own atv. Then posts giving bad advice to someone who is new on here.

DITTO AGAIN!

Bro dont get me wrong but this dude has had SOOOOOO much help here and didn't listen and he's broke down again! like midway said----theres a prob! loosen all your **** and pick it up afterwards...NOT!!!! we will help you and it sounds like you may have a bad starter but ill let others chime in, midway is a very experieced person and im a 1/4 of that, dillion dude you r not in the position to give advice at this point, listen and maybe you will b someday, im not in a position to give advice but if i know i will chime in, thats all! ur wearing me out bro:argh:

another possibility is a bad battery... try starting it with battery removed and just a good set of jumper cables to a known good battery... in rare cases a bad battery can hog all the juice from the jumper cables.. I doubt that it is the issue but worth a try since its 30secs to check,

DITTO AGAIN!

Bro dont get me wrong but this dude has had SOOOOOO much help here and didn't listen and he's broke down again! like midway said----theres a prob! loosen all your **** and pick it up afterwards...NOT!!!! we will help you and it sounds like you may have a bad starter but ill let others chime in, midway is a very experieced person and im a 1/4 of that, dillion dude you r not in the position to give advice at this point, listen and maybe you will b someday, im not in a position to give advice but if i know i will chime in, thats all! ur wearing me out bro:argh:

just cuz i didnt feel like listening to him tell me something about my atv tht he has never seen doesnt mean anything, if everybody in this world listen to what someone tells them this would be a messed up world. i have every right to give advice as much as you do login on the internet.

this person asked something.. i told him what i had to do (what has worked fine and the starter doesnt ''full off''. nothing can happen from undoing the bolts a lil.

if you 2 dont have nothing better to do then comment on another thread ''quotin' my stuff then dont comment on it at all. this tread had/has nothing to do with me

just cuz i didnt feel like listening to him tell me something about my atv tht he has never seen doesnt mean anything

Look a-hole, I have seen what happened to your engine many times. You are a belligerant pain in the ass and have no business giving advice to anyone. Do us all a favor and piss off!!!

Look a-hole, I have seen what happened to your engine many times. You are a belligerant pain in the ass and have no business giving advice to anyone. Do us all a favor and piss off!!!

That's some of the best advise I've seen lately! !! Bahahha!! (Now piss off!!!):clap:

you need to grow the fuk up and stop acting like a 5 year old whos full of himself. you havent seen my bike 'many' of times (matter of fact.. you havent 'seen' it ever!) you only read what was put on here a few times about me rebuilding it other then that you dont know **** about my quad.

so keep my name and quad out of ur mouth or get off ur yamaha warrior google search and come here an let see you try to start ****. ps.. now fuk u and have a nice day.

and i could put money on it that undo the starter a lil started his bike up i had the same damn problem

:tdown: Wow!! I rest my case. I need to grow up!!?? I don't know everything, but at 45 years old and being and automotive machinist for 26 years I hope I know a little. Needless to say I have fixed many, many f-ups that idiots like you walk in the door with.

I guess I am like a moth drawn to the light on this stupidity. I can't argue with the customer at work, so I guess I get on here and blow off steam at guys like you.

I do need to grow up and stop falling into these kinds of arguments. I need to help those that are willing to listen and be helped and walk away from stupidity.

Back