No Spark When Cranking Fault: cause, testing and solution provided

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Ady

Reaction score
Hi Owners,

I've produced a document outlining the cause, symptoms, testing and solution to the common "no-spark-when-cranking" fault.

Spoiler Alert: it's your Neutral Relay (#10 on schematic) that has a blown coil.
Check the PDF for testing and info.

EDIT: I'm in discussions with another guru on CDI internals and will update once I conform or otherweise asap.

Eg, there may be an alternative cause and solution, which is related to the attached, but influences the CDI differently.

Attachments

• Neutral Relay coil fault no spark.pdf
    474.7 KB
  • Neutral Relay coil fault no spark.png
    Neutral Relay coil fault no spark.png
    746 KB
Last edited:
Guy really came on here, said hi, and 10 minutes later killed off half the fresh threads in the technical section. I like it.
Welcome to the boards

Hi and note, I have to review the doc as I'm in discussions with another guy about CDI technical info.

I'll update wnhen I have more info OK.
My 350 had a coule of faults, and this may not be the true cause. I'll update as I go.

Hi and note, I have to review the doc as I'm in discussions with another guy about CDI technical info.

I'll update wnhen I have more info OK.
My 350 had a coule of faults, and this may not be the true cause. I'll update as I go.
Yep get into a good conversation with him. He's been the electrical guru for the warriors.

Hi Owners,

I've produced a document outlining the cause, symptoms, testing and solution to the common "no-spark-when-cranking" fault.

Spoiler Alert: it's your Neutral Relay (#10 on schematic) that has a blown coil.
Check the PDF for testing and info.

EDIT: I'm in discussions with another guru on CDI internals and will update once I conform or otherweise asap.

Eg, there may be an alternative cause and solution, which is related to the attached, but influences the CDI differently.
Well im gonna have to try this because I can't come up with anything else and my neutral relay on my 97 gets hot and I can't get a spark to save my life I'll let you kno if this fixes my problem. If I don't I could really use to pick ur brain if that's OK I have been fighting with it for over a month

im having this problem right now , well i think anyway neutral light is ON, it cranks no spark, replaced the coil thinking it was the problem made sure it had good connections to ground , still no spark. was running perfectly till this.

where is the relay located on the quad ? ill replace it next

Last edited:
im having this problem right now , well i think anyway neutral light is ON, it cranks no spark, replaced the coil thinking it was the problem made sure it had good connections to ground , still no spark. was running perfectly till this.

where is the relay located on the quad ? ill replace it next
It's by the battery under the plastic on the left if u were riding it. The original one is a light green one. If they r both black then it's gonna be the one with only one brown wire going to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240811_080416_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240811_080416_Photos.jpg
    787.6 KB
the one on the lef? t its got a green male end and has one olive or brown wire, hard to see. it has more wires than the right which also has a brownish olive wire but there are 2 what is the other one? should i replace it also ?

Attachments

• 20240811_154915[1].jpg
    20240811_154915[1].jpg
    1.1 MB
Last edited:
the one on the lef? t its got a green male end and has one olive or brown wire, hard to see. it has more wires than the right which also has a brownish olive wire but there are 2 what is the other one? should i replace it also ?
U can disconnect them and pull the plugs out where u can see them better. Both my male side r white it my relays that r different color

Back