Warrior transmission assembly help needed

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandjimmy21

Reaction score
I’ve followed the manual, watched a bunch of the videos and I’m really struggling with the counter gear. It seems like the shaft is not aligned with the hole or the gears are not engaging properly. I’m sure there is something I’m overlooking. The larger gear is upwards. On the side profile pic you can see how it looks like the shaft is angled (gear not lined up with the hole).

for background, these are new (used) case halves, New bearings. The old engine was grenaded by the guy who used to own it, fresh after his rebuild. Looks like he had the flywheel bolt loose, not sure what else but the rod came out the jug and case. I had no issues disassembling the transmission and the counter get shaft popped right out. I pulled out the gears and attempted to reassemble in the old case and had the same issue so I’m sure I have something screwed up.
IMG_3439.jpegIMG_3440.jpegIMG_3441.jpegIMG_3442.jpegIMG_3443.jpeg

I would say you have some gears swapped around. Gear mesh doesn't match(tooth size and pitch). I wish I could find a better drawing. The top gear the countershaft gear is trying to mesh with doesn't look like the right gear.

I have only done a few transmissions in these, but the top gear in this photo should mesh into the output shaft. Try swapping these 2 gears.
1000004083.jpg

Edit: quick search on YouTube shows those gears are swapped with each other. I skimmed it and about 11 min in shows the gears.

Attachments

• 1000004083.jpg
    1000004083.jpg
    3.6 MB
I would say you have some gears swapped around. Gear mesh doesn't match(tooth size and pitch). I wish I could find a better drawing. The top gear the countershaft gear is trying to mesh with doesn't look like the right gear.

I have only done a few transmissions in these, but the top gear in this photo should mesh into the output shaft. Try swapping these 2 gears.
View attachment 5714

Edit: quick search on YouTube shows those gears are swapped with each other. I skimmed it and about 11 min in shows the gears.

Thank you a million Yamahanutz! That was it, took two seconds to swap and it all fell together. I knew something stupid was wrong!

I’ll plan to post pics of this build. It started as a simple engine rebuild and now I’m doing a full makeover of this old Warrior. Always wanted one since I was a kid so it’s gotten a bit ridiculous 😀

Ron

Learn from a friend's mistakes... run it through all the gears by hand before you even put the other half of the case together. While spinning the input shaft and turning the shift drum everything should move smoothly and easilly
As someone who is also mid way through a project that's gone out of hand, I look forward to seeing your progress somewhere in the builds page

I second PineyPower's suggestion to run it through the gears before you assemble the halves. Too much work involved to go back in if it's not right.

Back