03 Warrior Motor Rebuild

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usdsk8er540

Reaction score
hey yall. thought i would make my first post and show you all the motor rebuild i had done on my 03 warrior. one-way bearing was going out, so while the motor was apart, i figured we should do a build up as well.
f06b5073.jpg

f06b4d0f.jpg

f06b5069.jpg

ditched my alba pipe and went with fmf powercore 4
f06b4a4d.jpg

hotcams stage 1 cam
f06b4ddd.jpg

and wiseco high compression piston bored 0.50mm over (not big difference)
f06b505a.jpg

also got rid of the stock tires and put on X Driv 6-ply front
f06b49dd.jpg

and rears.
f06b5055.jpg

just got her up on the dyno today to get the jetting right and start to break it in. first graph shows that i went from about 17hp to about 24-25hp.
f06b48ba.jpg

this graph shows an all gear run putting out a max of about 38 hp.
f06b47f4.jpg

she's not completely broken in yet though, so i should have close to about 26-27hp once it gets broken in and the rings seat completely. trail riding is sure gonna be fun. i also took the stock header, cleaned all the mud off of it, sanded it down to the bare metal, and painted it with VHT Flameproof paint in a flat satin blue finish. pretty nice in my opinion.
f06b4bd7.jpg

f06b4a09.jpg

i know the guy that owns the shop i took it to, so i got a little bit of a discount. only guy i know of in the area (southwest missouri) that has a dyno for quads. so tell me, what do you all think? not a bad investment in my opinion. got an alba front bumper coming in soon so ill get some pics of that when i get it on. later

yes very nice. Except for the front bumper I hate stock Warrior and Banshee front bumpers they look pretty ugly. But you said your getting a new one so thats good.

how did you get 19-20hp out of a stock warrior? as far as i know they only put out about 16-17hp stock. my warrior only put out about 19hp with the alba pipe. just curious. ill get some pics when i get the alba bumper on and clean it up some. still kinda dirty from the last time i rode chadwick. later

how did you get 19-20hp out of a stock warrior? as far as i know they only put out about 16-17hp stock. my warrior only put out about 19hp with the alba pipe. just curious. ill get some pics when i get the alba bumper on and clean it up some. still kinda dirty from the last time i rode chadwick. later

I am guessing could be due to my jetting - I am VERY anal about having my jetting absolutely perfect, that and all motors are casted differently its entirely possible; FST reports the stock motor putting out 18-20HP stock as well. What was the condition of the motor when you dynoed it stock? If you had a loss in compression/components were worn your results will be different from mine since my stock build was fairly new when I performed the runs.

The 2-3 HP differance in our numbers can be from any one of the above and a multitude of variables (our particular air density where we live etc...).

oh yeah i love the bike now. havent got to ride it yet since i still have about $100 left to pay on my tab. had to change oil, filter, put a new twist throttle (tube was breaking where the cable hooks in),new grips, and front end aligned. alignment was way off. as for the stock hp, the motor probably wasnt in perfect shape when i got it judging by the way the mechanic at the shop rode it (at dealership, not shop where i got the motor rebuilt). kinda pissed me off, but i just wanted to get it home and ride it since it was my 20th b-day and this was my present to myself (yes i bought it myself). also, i live in southwest missouri, so the air is probably different and the alba pipe might have hurt it a little. yeah we got it up on the dyno and it shows air/fuel ratios and you change the jetting accordingly. really nice thing to know if you are running lean/rich. i guess the jetting that came with the alba pipe kit was really rich. last time i got it dyno tuned we had to step the jetting down 15 stages to get it right because it was barely registering on the air/fuel ratio scale! so, a word to the wise, dont buy alba pipes! they dont make their own stuff anyway, so you cant get replacement parts! and yeah the pipe is very different, but thats what i wanted. dont want to look like every other warrior on the trail. ill probably eventually put a fmf powerbomb or high-flow header on it to complement the powercore 4, but its kickin ass for right now. found out on the dyno that apparently i dont have a rev limiter for some reason, must have been by-passed somehow, so i have to be careful not to take it too high. i guess the cam really kicks in at around 7000-7500 rpm, so its gonna be a fun ride. looking into the dyna-fs programmable control box next. anyone have one? are they good?

warriors don't come from the factory with rev limiters... apparently yamaha thought they didn't need one.

thanks. yeah they make a dyna-fs for the warrior. here's the site. http://www.dynaonline.com/english/atv_fs.htm#yamaha at the top of the page it says warrior 97-05, but when you click on it it says 97-01 warrior. i would guess that 97-01 would be the same as 97-05. didnt know that there wasnt a limiter on it stock. if they dont have one stock, why are there aftermarket rev limiters that claim to raise your limit 1000 rpm or something like that? i suppose you need a limiter so you dont burn up your motor, right? well im going to try to get a dyna box next, after i get some oversize bars and clamps, maybe a speedo too. (for the warrior, not me!) will probably do exhaust on my girlfriend's 300ex (that i got for her) and replace the front tires to match the X Driv rears before all that too, but we will see. she's going to get some nerfs and a bumper for it and ive got some belly and swingarm skids on the way for it. anyone rode superlift park in hot springs, arkansas? we are going there over spring break so if anyone lives around there and wants to come ride with us one day, let me know. later

i dont think they make the dyna fs ignitions for 03 warriors...its a bummer, but if u find one for an 03, please let me know

nice bike btw

They will have one out in a month or two.

I posted my email conversation with Dynatek in the thread titled 'Dynatech'.

cool. that will give me some more time to save up for it. it will probably be a while though since this trip is going to cost me out the ass! i know its only about 270-280 miles down there, but gas sucks, gotta pay for camping and get essentials for camping like food, beer, ect. 21st b-day is coming up on feb. 2nd (thursday) so im happy about that. hopefully will get the warrior out of the shop by then, but if not i get paid the day after, so its cool. anyone know of any place that sells the dyna's for less b/c $350 is quite a lot to pay when you foot your own bill and you are a college student. i only got the motor rebuilt and other stuff done b/c i got extra financial aid money back since i screwed up and only got 2 of the classes i needed. i guess everything happens for a reason though b/c i needed the money. oh well. later

right on. guess ill just have to save and wait. kinda hard while paying on 2 quads as well, but i think i can make it work. thanks

Well, at least it's not on the market yet. Staring you in the face, making you jones for it... ;)

Latest posts

Back